Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Great Debate

Recently Similac formula company released a new commercial that I absolutely love. It is titled "We Are All Moms." LOVE IT. If you are pregnant or a new mom- get the tissues.

In the video you see all the different types of moms ( and dads)- the all organic, breastfeeders, bottle feeders, working moms, the SAH moms, the SAH dads, etc.. Every kind of belief and ideal a mom or dad could have- it's in there.

I'll be the first to admit- everyone has their own "mom style" and set of beliefs in how they want to raise or parent their kiddos, but first things first- we share the fact that we are a mom no matter how we think.

Just because our "mom style" is different than another's doesn't mean it is wrong (unless you're breaking laws of course). It may be strange or not what we would do if it were us, but to each his own. What's best for you is probably not what's best for me or my neighbor.

For example, I did not want to breastfeed. Sue me.
I did not want to risk not being able to feed my child between work and school nor being able to pump at appropriate times to have enough stored as our family graciously took turns watching her while I bounced between activities.
Most people have frowned upon it when I've been honest.
Again, sue me. Although, I later found out I would not have been capable of breastfeeding in the first place, so the argument is invalid.
If you breastfeed or did previously, even for a week or a day or atleast attempted- kudos to you my friend, but it was not for me.

Also, I went right back to work 4 weeks after Piper was born, and back to school 4.5 weeks later. I worked up until the day I went in for my 39 week check-up/C-section. I was not accustomed to taking a day off, therefore being home and being told to relax for the next 4 weeks was a bizarre feeling. I am not good at just "relaxing." I'm not quite sure I could survive being a SAH mom- if you are, kudos kudos kudos to YOU. I couldn't do it; it would drive me absolutely bonkers.

At the end of the video, the stroller of one mom begins to roll down the hill towards a tragic ending. All the moms and dads then band together to stop the stroller and realize that even though their visions of motherhood and childcare may be opposing or slightly different, they're all the same- they're moms (and dads) above anything else.

I may not have swaddled my newborn, breastfed, had a normal or nonetheless natural childbirth, and I may not boil the pacifiers every time one drops on the floor, but I'm now a mom and this is how I roll.

2 comments:

  1. I"m so very proud of you for standing up for how YOU want to be a mother and raise YOUR child. :) Everyone raises their child different and that's the beauty of it. If we all did the same thing, life would be boring and God made us all unique in our own ways. No one raises your child better than you. I added your blog to my blog list so I can keep reading your posts. :) love ya.... www.bizzy-bs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took actually becoming a mom to understand the true meaning of "to each his own" as long as it's not anything that is harmful or potentially harmful to the child. What's best or what works for you may not work for others. Whatever floats your boat.

      Delete