Thursday, February 12, 2015

How I Met Your Father

Recently I have found myself watching television at odd hours of the night... Shows I wouldn't normally watch because I'm normally sleeping because I have a 2 month old who I constantly peer over the pack n play at around 3 am. 

Background information: we sleep with the tv on. I don't like silence-it creeps me out. For those who ask me all the time how I work in such aloud environment at KDAS, it's all I know and I love it. It's also easier for me to sleep with noise. There you have it.

To get technical, we sleep with it on Nick at Night. The popular shows on late night television for this particular channel are "Everybody Loves Raymond," "George Lopez," and "How I Met Your Mother."

The third one is somewhat interesting in that it takes the viewer into the long drawn out story of how the character meets his wife, but in the perspective of telling his kids how he met their mother. Which made me think, how will I tell Piper one day how I met her father? Hmmmm...

We'll give it a go shall we? 
I have known my now in laws since I can remember. My brother-in-law was always in my circle of friends. I can remember in the 4th grade riding with him in my momma-in-law's car to an end of the school year pool party a bunch of us were going to. 
My father-in-law was my middle school and jr. high principal. I was the child who was always hit in the head by a basketball or some flying object so he would check for signs of a concussion.

Fast forward a few years. 
My family joined First Baptist Church and I was convinced to join their youth choir. I told you we would discuss this later. Jesse and Andy and their family were also members of the church and they were members of the choir. My first year of choir (7th grade) I was baptized-both were there and unknowingly so were my future in laws. Pretty cool. 

The next year was Andy's senior year. His last choir tour. My 8th grade year and second tour. 
He played a cool part in a skit for that year's performance and as a "joke" everyone wanted a picture with him and the other partner in the skit. I took my picture with him, unknowingly with my future husband. I kept the picture framed in my bedroom from that summer on. Never thinking anything about it until years later. 

Fast forward to my senior year. Jesse and I had stayed good buddies and friends through our school years and he asked if I would walk with him in our senior homecoming court-duh of course I would. 

Background information: At our high school the senior football players ask a girl to "walk." The girls chosen make up the homecoming royalty, and from there they vote on honor. Aids for each grade and a senior for queen. 

My husband watched me walk unknowingly with my future brother in law on homecoming court. Homecoming maids are required to wear white. I never dreamed he would see me wear white one more time. 

That same year Jesse and I graduated class of 2010. Andy of course was there to see his brother graduate, but he also saw me. The crazy coinky dink... Our families sat together at the ceremony. 

A few weeks later we went on our senior choir tour with the church. Our last one to a random circle of cities. 
Andy and I started our random text conversation the Wednesday of choir tour. By Friday I was antsy. I wanted to be home and see this fella for myself. I thought he was nuts. He couldn't have any sort of interest in me. We'll apparently I was wrong or I wouldn't be wearing a wedding band. 

I remember it well. As soon as we were done with our last performance at our home church, I came down from the choir loft, walked straight to his 6'5 figure in the very back, smiled, and told him to "hold my shoes."  FYI, I'm 5'3, 5'4 on a good day. He looked real cute holding my 4" Jessica Simpson peep toe pumps while I gathered my luggage. 
From there we went in my mom's car to take my brother to a pool party and then on we went to what I call our first date- medium cokes at McDonald's while sitting at the barstools. I remember sitting and swinging my legs back and forth like a 2 yr old on a sugar high I was so giddy. 

From there we became best friends and of course from there (shortly) we were classified as official and from there we decided to seal the deal. 


So there you have it Piper, I met your daddy on my 8th grade year of choir tour with a picture to prove it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment