Thursday, February 12, 2015

Oops Part 2

For those who don't know me personally, just some more background information. 

I am a workaholic. 
I have worked 2, technically 3 jobs if you count my painting on the side for almost 4 years now while going to school.
I worked in a retail position for 3 years which I then switched to the same family's machine shop into an office position when I became pregnant so I could stay off my feet and have a more flexible schedule due to my horrendous "morning" sickness that tended to stick around all day and night. They have graciously allowed me to work for them with conditions of being able to come and go as I need to. I never dreamed I could be able to do so and work in such a fun office environment, nor did I ever think I would ever in my life know so much about PO's, using a typewriter, handling part orders, or burn off ovens. 
I also have worked for the local dance studio for the past 4 years which I call family. The owners are 2 sisters that have taken me in and helped me grow as a person more than you could ever know. I was hired on as the studio assistant- running errands, filing things, working odd jobs, subbing classes, making props and float decorations, and of course helping with recital every year then moved into being the secretary. This is going on my 3rd year as secretary at the same studio, and I love it. I love my dance kids and parents to the moon and back. 

That Monday I slept in and did not go into the machine shop to work as I normally would between classes. It was my doctor day, and the Monday of semester test week so there was NO CLASS. I worked on study guides that morning before fixing tomato soup and grilled cheeses for our lunch before I got ready to leave for El Dorado. I also had my bag of snacks packed for my afternoon of work at the dance studio when I returned from my appointment. I had every intention of going to work that day, but one of the helpful dance moms was always on "stand by" in case I were to go into labor and she would take over the desk. 

Needless to say, when I woke up in my hospital room and partially realized what was going on, I had a panic moment- Karen and Emily don't know I'm here and no one is working the desk. Holy moly you would've thought the world was coming to an end. 

I asked for my cell phone and quicky texted Karen telling her I was in my hospital room and recovering from a c-section.

She thought I was playing a sick joke. 

After explaining what happened, I swore her to secrecy until I could confirm all my family had been alerted to the birth of their grandchild, niece, cousin, etc. because I had no idea at that time who all knew that I had had the baby. 

After finding out that the family all knew, I texted her to tell her to let our dance family know they would be getting a new member. They were all so excited I had a little girl, and were tickled to add to the KDAS family. 

In between all that, I texted my other boss lady who couldn't have been more excited that Piper had arrived. She and my other bosses at the machine shop couldn't have been more helpful. Not only did they check on me and always offer their services to help in anyway possible, they allowed me to come back to my part time position under the same condition that I could be in and out when I needed to be AND allow me to just bring Piper to work with me. 

Needless to say, I couldn't ask for better bosses or better jobs. I love working with people and with kids so I get the best of both worlds. 

Oh and yes I did take my semester tests that very week. I came home from the hospital on a Wednesday and took all 3 exams back to back to back that Friday. 
Boo yah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment