Thursday, February 12, 2015

Off to See the Wizard

I love the Wizard of Oz.
Love might be an understatement...obsessive maybe?
Correction... Obsessive is the understatement. 

It all started when I was little. My Gege (grandmother) and I would watch movies all the time. The first time she introduced me to The Wizard of Oz, I hid behind the couch when the witch appeared. 

From then on I was smitten with those ruby slippers. 

Then my love for the movie really grew when I was in the 6th grade. I was a part of the gifted and talented program in which we did a project fair every year. My project that year was about Judy Garland- the star of my favorite movie. THE Dorothy. That project led me to research the background of the movie and the book. The quirky facts, myths, and casting. Yup. Quiz me. 

I'm the weirdo that knows that the actress who portrayed Ms. Gulch and the Wicked Witch of the West was actually a kindergarten teacher in her original career path.
I'm the weirdo that knows that the iconic "Over the Rainbow" was not supposed to be in the movie. 
Yup. It's my thing. 

My 7th grade year in youth choir (we'll discuss that next) we went to Washington, D.C. And we were allowed to tour the Smithsonian. What life goal did I accomplish of course? Seeing THE ruby slippers. 
Omg. I almost cried I was so excited. 

My senior trip was one of a solo (except for my family friend of a chaperone) expedition to NYC. My fabulous graduation gift from said chaperone was a ticket to see Wicked on Broadway.
I sang every song with the cast. The poor people who sat in front of me...

Fast forward 3 years... Andy and I are engaged.  What do I do as soon as we have a wedding date?
Order my replica ruby slippers to walk down the aisle in. 
What does Karen surprise me with? Garters... Made of the blue and white gingham fabric and decorated with a ruby slipper charm. 
My other boss from my retail job hosted my bridesmaid luncheon. What were our party favors? 
Sugar cookies... In the shape of ruby slippers decorated with red sugar. 

Yes. It's an obvious thing about me so it was no surprise I decorated Piper's room in ruby, black, and white. No it's not plastered with posters, but there are a quote or 2 hanging along with bows, glitter, and a light up picture of the emerald city. 


It's my quirk if you will. Everyone has one.
 
Yup. Those are my wedding shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment