Saturday, February 7, 2015

2 Dogs and a Baby

I remember a popular movie title called 3 Men and a Baby, or maybe it was 2 Men...I don't remember just exactly, but I do know 2 Dogs and Baby should be the title of our life or maybe just 3 Babies.

I got Ellie, my first furbaby, in October 2011. I called the lovely woman I found on puppyfind.com and asked all the right questions, received the right answers, and the puppy was the right price. I had always wanted a silky terrier since I started house sitting for a family friend. They had a little silky and I immediately fell in love with the breed.

Ellie was my baby, my furry first born nonetheless.

Andy and I were dating at the time and he rode with me to Mansfield, AR to pick her up in a little grocery store parking lot on a Friday morning. I remember I skipped class to leave early that morning so we could pick her up around lunch time. 


Ellie slept with me, snuggled, cried with me, loved on me, and was my best friend.

My dad always swore we could never have an inside dog, but he soon changed his mind as Ellie became his breakfast buddy. He would come open my door at 6:30 am like clock work, let Ellie out, and eat scrambled eggs together.

Two and a half years later, Andy and I were married in December. Ellie of course moved with me to our new home. She became accustomed to her new home, but we thought she would need a friend. After being commissioned to find my fabulous second momma (Andy's mother) a puppy for Valentine's day, I stumbled across a new breed I had never heard of- Coton de Tulear. A French breed, a literal "cotton dog."

A month later on a Friday morning I left at 6am for Little Rock to pick up our new addition known as Emmie, Ellie's little sister.

This breed is known for its good nature and eagerness to please its owner. They're generally intelligent, happy dogs and are wonderful with children. Also, they are of course known for their fluffy white appearance.

Ellie and Emmie are quite the pair. It seems like Ellie took Emmie under her wing immediately- showing her all the ropes. They quickly became partners in crime, and would sit and plot. For example, we just moved our furniture around a few weeks ago to put up our Christmas décor and what we found behind the couches blew our minds. There were what looked like 20 pairs of socks, 3 chewed up water bottles, bald tennis balls, and the corpses of numerous toys that had previously been plump and full of fuzz. The furbabies tend to hide things from us to put it simply, or in my mind I classify them as hoarders. 


I never imagined they would take to Piper so well. At first they were confused why this new puppy had no hair. They then accepted the fact that the bald puppy did not move like they did nor talk like they did and decided to love her anyway.

Now they are 3 peas in a pod. Literally. Piper is never alone to put it plainly. Wherever she is, the 2 guard dogs are. If she cries, they cry- true story, it's PIT-I-FUL. They even go to the extent of sleeping next to her. At first it made me nervous, but it's like they take turns on watch. One will sit on the back of the couch "watching" while the other is laid next to Piper all snuggled around her. Emmie has a big fluffy pink tail that she curls around Piper and it's the sweetest thing ever and would even make the Grinch's heart melt. They aren't bothered by her grabbing at their hair, nor do they ever bother Piper. They love to give her a kiss on the head or lay at her feet when it's tummy time. Again, it just darn near breaks your heart it's so precious.


I love that Piper will grow up with our furbabies. The only problem I foresee is when they all 3 begin to conspire against us...

No comments:

Post a Comment