Tuesday, September 20, 2016

You Must Be Mistaken

One of the funny things about teaching at the high school is when you're looked over as a student because you're young, short, and carry a backpack.


When I was student teaching, I was told numerous times to put my phone up, to get out of the teacher's lounge, or even hurry and get to class.
The other student teachers and I swear we are the reason they continually announced over the intercom for teachers to remember students are not allowed in the lounge areas.

Now that I'm a teacher- yes I carry a backpack with my books and lesson planner, wallet, computer, and my lunch inside. So you can see that on fridays when I'm wearing jeans, carrying a backpack, and sometimes wearing very little makeup; I am easily looked at by students as just one of them.
One looked at me and asked if I was the new girl.

I simply said, "Yes I am. My classroom is room 29 thank you." and pointed to my staff badge.

It wasn't disrespectful, but it gave me a good giggle.

I know I've said it before, but high school students are funny. Like really funny.

There are some days all I can do is just smile and shake my head.

For now, I've just finished my notes for this week, packed my backpack, put my lunch together, made my stack of stuff to take to school tomorrow, and bagged up my Diet Mt. Dew to restock my fridge.
I've said it once and I'll say it again.
I love my job, love my kids, love my hometown, and I love our community.
Small town living is taken for granted by many in my opinion.
There's nothing like a community coming together to cheer on a football team of hometown heros, cheerleaders, dance team, and one of the best marching bands in South Arkansas.
There's also nothing like being their teacher, and hearing the stories they tell after the fact.
When they decide you're trustworthy there's just no telling what stories they will tell you period.
Somethings I just blink really hard and they stop and say, "What?"
That's when you shake your head and go on with what you were doing.

There's no other way to say it, but I love my kids. They make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment