Wednesday, September 28, 2016

See You at the Pole #1

In light of the recent presidential events, let's shed some light on what good is going on in the world.
For example, See You at the Pole was today.

I participated for years in "See You at the Pole" as a student. Today for the first time I watched at a distance with fellow teachers from the other side.

I watched students lead worship and it's a good feeling AMAZING to see that at work.

I watched students I had student teaching last year, and I watched students I currently teach.

I watched girls read scripture, boys lead prayer, small group prayer and devotion, students lead in song, students reach out to others who were getting off buses or waiting on buses by passing out and offering donuts and milk, and I also watched students watch.

I watched teachers stop and pray, teachers stop and listen, and teachers stop in awe of students leading  that weren't your typical go-getters in class, so it seemed.

I listened.
Yes there was noise in the background consisting of cars, students talking at their vehicles, buses running and stopping, and random sounds coming from different directions, but it somehow didn't muddy up the sound of students praising Jesus and the explaining the sacrifice of the cross. It didn't muddy up the fact that I saw 12 of my own students passing out donuts, praying for others and their school and their principals, and giving testimonies of how God changed them.

I heard specifically marked scripture read. I heard thoughtful comments.
I saw things too.
I saw hearts breaking for our school.
I saw faces melt hearing about the sacrifice on the cross.
I also saw teachers watch.
I saw administrators watch.
I heard people pray.

Yea we do this every Sunday- we pray, sing, take up offerings, listen to scripture, listen to sermons, listen to testimonies, etc..
Except when it's out of the building, led by possibly future ministers, pastors, evangelists, music leaders, youth pastors, and missionaries- it's a little different.

Remember high school? Your peers judged you, talked about you, and sometimes thought negative things about you whether provoked or not.
Ever thought about how your peers would look at you if you shouted the name of Jesus at the flag pole?

Yes gathering at the flag pole were kids and peers alike who believe the word of God, but the people on the outside watched them gather. Others watched them pray, and as I have students entering my room today they ask questions...
"Why were there people at the flag pole?"
"Why didn't they announce they were doing that? I would have come."
"Where did the donuts come from?"

I can't answer all these questions. Some I just tell "I don't know."

It's different from the teacher side. It was wonderful to see my peers love Jesus, but it's just as wonderful to see my students love Jesus.

Have I mentioned I love my job? Have I mentioned I love my kids?
I do. Very Very Very MUCH.


No comments:

Post a Comment