Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Soap Box #1

It's obvious I'm quite passionate on my stance of going to a professionally trained medical staff for all medical needs, but  due to recently reading an article on the "shaming or shading of c-sections" I have the urge to step up on my soap box...

Disclaimer* by no means am I saying either form of childbirth is better, worse, etc. than the other. The best form of childbirth is that which produces a living child and healthy momma. That's what counts. 
As I was saying. 
To those who want to judge anyone on the fact of not having a "natural" or "unnatural" vaginal birth because it was the "EASY WAY OUT"... Shame on you. 

Have you had a c-section yourself? Probably not, so let's go with the assumption you're either misinformed or just ignorant. 
And yes I can say that because I used to be someone who just assumed that after a section was over it was over. No ripping, tearing, pushing nonsense. No waiting. No pain. No epidurals. No feeling anything. No exhaustion. You get your stitches out and it's over. You heal up your cut and go on like nothing happened. Back to normal. Life goes on. 
Oh contrare... 
Wrong. 
Wrongo. 
Did I mention wrong?

Let me explain some things. 
Remember the magic trick of the woman in the box being cut in half? Exactly how I felt when I woke up. 
Do you have ripping and pushing and tearing? Not really. 
Do you have an incision and a kick butt battle scar? Absolutely. 
Are there 10ish staples in said incision? Correct. 
And then the whopper... Are there stitches on the INSIDE of your body? Yup. 
You literally heal from the inside out. And yes. Within 12ish hours after having said incision and stitches and staples and being packed and bandaged so tight you feel your skin will bust open if you move your pinky toe wrong, they stand you up. Is it achievable and completely essential in healing. YES. Does it make you feel like you will pass out or want to say things that would make your mother blush (depending on the last time you pressed your precious button)? 
It is a major surgery. It seems routine, but it's a big deal. 

Another step up on the soap box...
Not all who have a section CHOOSE to have a section. 
The next time you tell someone they took this so called easy way out- go ahead and duck and cover. I would if you were the "one more person" that said such to me. 

"Oh you're SO lucky! You didn't have to have any pain"
Lucky my left foot. Tell that to the brave nurse who comes in to stand you up for the first time. 
Orrrr my favorite was...
"Oh you had it easy. Just imagine if you actually had to sit on it."
I wanted to release the wrath of a 1 week postpartum she-devil. But I didn't. 
 
No You don't have to "sit on it."
But you do have to bend it. 
When you sit or try to lay down you bend at the waist correct? Well right there is the cute little easy line of staples. 

And another thing. For those who chose a section or it was medically necessary. Kudos to you for having a plan and preparing. Kudos to you for doing what you could to bring a healthy baby safely into the world. 
For those who either tried to have a vaginal birth but had complications leading to a section or for those like myself who had no idea and were rushed into emergency surgery- it wasn't necessarily your choice. It was your only choice and only option. There's nothing worse than someone tyring to condemn or shame or downplay the way you brought your sweet ray of sunshine into the world because it wasn't "womanly." 
You know what?
It takes a real woman to do whatever means necessary to save her baby, not her womanhood. 
It takes a real woman to do whatever means necessary to bring a baby safely into the world whether it be by vaginal delivery or section. 

And that's all I have to say about that. 






No comments:

Post a Comment