Friday, July 24, 2015

My Opinion

Some have wondered where all this strong will has come from all the sudden.Sit tight and I'll explain.

Growing up I was quiet. I did not ever want to make anyone mad, and I would have been easily classified as a people pleaser.
I did not like confrontation whatsoever and would do anything to avoid it in general.
I didn't know how to say no when others asked to copy my homework.
When things popped up at school to be made for the cheer squad, prom, etc. I couldn't say no.
By no means did that mean that I wasn't happy to help, but there were other things that should have taken priority.
Not staying up til 4am rhinestoning shirts for us to wear the next day, but perhaps studying for AP Biology or AP Cal.
OOPS.

As I got older and entered college, I had a professor who told us we were the stupidest group of students he had ever had.
Me being me, I took it to heart and wanted to quit the class, change my major, move states, and create a new identity.
When I was trying to do my homework one night, I told my now husband about it.
He asked me was I stupid.
Of course I said no.
He told me not to let him bully me into something I know I'm not.
Do my best and show him I'm not dumb.

So I did.
The professor ate his words.

When I got pregnant, I had a slight shift in personality. Obviously seeing as my hormones were like that retro video game "Ping" or whatever... The thing where the little ball bounces everywhere and you try to bounce it in the right direction.

I all the sudden had no filter on my mouth. Literally.
Did I sometimes over use the "I'm pregnant with raging hormones" excuse? Oh ya. At that point I was still super confused as to why some things came toppling out of my voice box the way they did.

But being pregnant and having no filter made me realize what it was like to be able to tell people no, do what I thought was best for me and not what would make others happy, and I was able to actually voice my opinion with no thought of what could possibly go wrong except for someone to disagree with it.

The longer I pondered on it, the more confident I was in being able to stand up for myself in a sense that I didn't just say yes or no just to make sure everyone was happy and pleased with what was going on.
I was confident in my voice.

I did not want my Piper to grow up like that.
I did not want my Piper to grow up scared.

So it was time to set the example.
That's how you lead.
You can't tell someone to do something the right way and then do it wrong.
That's not how it works.


I want my daughter to grow up strong, courageous, and confident.
I want my daughter to know how to stand up for herself and what's right and what's wrong even when it's not easy.
I want my daughter to run to us when she needs help.
I want her to know her parents support her and will fight for her.
Do I want her to act a fool while doing so? Oh heck no.
There's a wooden spoon for that.

Which leads me to say this.
I do not want my child to be run over or pushed aside because she is too scared to say anything.
I also will not allow anyone to run over my child.
If anyone feels it necessary to do such a thing, remember I have a special set of skills and I will find you.

You know the old saying- There is no wrath like a woman scorned.
I think they got it wrong because there's a whole new level when you become a momma.
There is no wrath like that which comes from a Momma protecting/defending her child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment